In a recent article by Dave Haggarty he put forward a few basic tips for photographing while you travel:
- Try and locate your hotel within five minutes of where you want to shoot.
- Scout your various shoot sites before hand making note of activities, vantage points and proximity of the various shooting spots.
- When travelling schedule at least 3 days in good shooting spots in order to allow for review, recovery and rest.
- Avoid city tours but look into private tours as they are good value. He estimates they are about 20% more but then you have a dedicated resource who will focus on photography sites, getting past the line ups and interpret for you.
- Keep a small waterproof camera with you for those impossible days. It will also serve you well in concert halls and other difficult to access interiors.
This might be obvious, but a good reminder, you need to be settle into your accommodation at least two hours before magic hours to make the best of the evenings shoot.